- I do not watch Sherlock just to see Benedict Cumberbatch
- I am not going to see Star Trek Into Darkness for the same reason
- I do not watch Doctor Who just to see David Tennant
- I do not watch The Avengers movies just to see Tom Hiddleston
- I do not watch the Iron Man movies just to see RDJ
- I do not watch anything just for hot guys
- I can still appreciate that they are really hot
- What’s wrong with watching Sherlock just to see Benedict Cumberbatch?
- What’s wrong with seeing Star Trek Into Darkness for the same reason?
- What’s wrong with watching Doctor Who to see David Tennant?
- What’s wrong with watching the Avengers movies just to see Tom Hiddleston?
- What’s wrong with watching the Iron Man movies just to see RDJ?
- What’s wrong with watching anything just for hot guys?
One of the worst aspects of a patriarchal society is the erasure and shaming of women’s sexuality. For example:
Romance fiction was the largest share of the U.S. consumer market in 2011 at 14.3 percent. (x)
And remember: The market share is often vastly disproportional to the number of books printed. (I believe this is the case with e-books where everything is being digitized and people are buying up romance and scifi.) Knowing romance authors, many of these books are smart, well written, plotty and…yes, sexy.
Now see how many slurs about romance novels you can remember in fifteen seconds. Go!
I watched a highly mediocre horror movie the other day because Zoe Saldana was in the credits. Because I enjoy her acting, because she’s smart and engaging in interviews, and because she’s hot.
Sometimes I pull up an episode of Supernatural and flip to a scene because I feel like staring at Crowley.
I am seriously considering the choice of watching episodes of shows I don’t care a flip about because of my giant creeper crush on Mark Sheppard.
These things are completely different from watching all the movies I have watched by Karl Urban because I’m almost guaranteed to enjoy whatever script he picks.
They’re sometimes completely different from how I choose movies off my Nextflix reel or at the box office, but not always. (i.e. Zoe Saldana is unbelievably sexy but that is, in fact, not the central reason I will be viewing Star Trek.)
What I’m trying to say is…
Never ever feel as if you need to defend or justify yourself if you’re engaging with media because it tickles your sensual- and sexuality.
It’s the niggling little ways “slut shaming” is ingrained in our society that we’re tricked into reinforcing that really…make me rant for several paragraphs.